When you’re looking for something to give your pet this Thanksgiving, it can be tempting to reach for that bag of treats at the grocery store. However, chocolate is toxic for pets and many treats are full of sugar or artificial ingredients. Making homemade treats with natural ingredients is much better. This article will show you how easy it is to make some healthy Thanksgiving snacks for your pet.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make these treats for your pet:
– 1/2 cup pumpkin purée (homemade or canned)
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (you can also use pumpkin pie spice) – 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional, depending on the consistency of the pumpkin)
– 1/2 cup rolled oats (certified gluten-free, if necessary)
– 1 cup brown rice flour
– 2 tablespoons olive oil (for a substitution, you can use canola or coconut oil in the same amount)
– 1 tablespoon parsley flakes (optional – for color and flavor)
– 1 tablespoon brewer’s yeast (optional, for higher protein content)
– 1/4 cup water or low sodium vegetable broth.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine pumpkin, olive oil, and maple syrup (optional), ground cinnamon, and parsley flakes in a bowl. If it’s too thick, you can add a little bit of water or low sodium vegetable broth until the right consistency is reached.
Step 2: Add brown rice flour, brewer’s yeast, and rolled oats to the pumpkin mixture. Stir until combined.
Step 3: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Transfer dough onto the baking sheet and shape it into a ball or any shape that you want, then flatten it out a little bit.
Step 4: Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Allow treats to cool afterward, then cut them into small pieces. Add a few holes to each piece using a skewer or toothpick.
Step 5: Place pumpkin treats in the freezer for about 1 hour. You can also place your treats in an air-tight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you want to give your pet a healthier Thanksgiving, give them treats that you made at home.
These Thanksgiving dog treats are made with all-natural ingredients and only consist of 5 simple steps. They’re also organic and contain no chemicals or preservatives, so they can be eaten daily. This recipe is fun to make with your kids as healthy Thanksgiving snacks for pets. If you don’t have enough time to stay with your pet at home, call us for the best dog sitting service in Gainesville, Manassas, Nokesville, Haymarket, and Bristow.